Day 5 Yoga Pose: Warrior I (Virabhadrasana I)
From your Downward Facing Dog position, bring the right foot forward next to your right hand. Now, pivot the ball on your left foot and drop your left heel on to the floor with your toes turned out about 45 degrees. Next, bend your right knee diretly over the right ankle so your thigh is parallel to the floor. From here you will draw your right hip back and left hip forward, so your ips are squared towards the front. Bring your arms up and out to the side. Palms should touch and gaze up towards the thumbs, coming into a very slight backbend. Slide your should blades down the back and press. Repeat on the left hand side.
What are the benefits of the Warrior I pose?
- It strengthens your legs
- It strengthens your arms, shoulders, thighs, ankles, and muscles of your back
- It stretches your hip flexors, abdomen and ankles
- It helps you develop stamina and endurance in your thighs and core muscles
- It stimulates your abdominal organs and digestion
- It improves your balance, concentration and core awareness